Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lots of fruit and water .. gain/loose weight?

I have been eating a lot of fruit over the past two weeks and it looks like I have gained a bit of weight :(



I usually start off with a coffee or tea (milk only) and later eat fruit in the morning (half peach / pear / plum). Then have a banana 1hr before lunch. Then for lunch have a decent lunch (sometimes rice or salad). 1 hr after lunch I eat the other half of the pear / peach / plum. Throughout the day I have a lot of water probably 5x500ml bottles of it. When I get home I usually have a tea and maybe 3 biscuits and then have dinner around 7pm.



I weighed approx 173 last week and this morning when I checked I was at 177 pounds. I am freaking and dont know what I have done wrong. I started treadmilling 2 days ago for 15 mins/day.



I am a male / 32 years old.



Please help .. :(

Lots of fruit and water .. gain/loose weight?
Firstly, its totally naturally for your weight to fluctuate even if you are losing weight overall. I hate the days where I am really controlled in my eating and wake up the next morning and I've gained!



Drinking water definately helps weight loss. Dehydration slows down the fat-burning process. Plus, water helps fluid retention, as your body won't hang onto the water, as it knows it will be getting more regularly. I think what you're drinking is definately a good amount.



You should probably start with a proper breakfast meal of low-sugar cereal or wholemeal toast, rather than just coffee/tea...it'll help kickstart your metabolism for the day. Some people say coffee aids weight loss and some people say it makes it worse, but I wouldn't worry about that so much...maybe use skim milk instead of normal milk though.



It sounds like you're eating a good amount of fruit, you should have 2-4 servings a day. Fruit is high in sugar though. Fruit juice is even higher in sugar because, I don't know if you've ever used a juicer, but it takes like...10 carrots to make a glass of carrot juice. Which is the sugar equivalent of 10 carrots in one serving. And sugar gets turned into fat. I don't know if you're drinking fruit juice or excess fruit, but that could definately hinder you. I used to snack on 100% fruit bars and I thought I was doing a good thing, until my doctor told me to quit it immediately because I was pretty much eating the same sugar content as a chocolate bar each time I ate one.



Salad or rice sounds good for lunch...make sure you have protein too. Brown rice instead of white rice is healthier, as well. And for dinner, about 1/2 your plate should be vegetables.



The biscuits probably aren't helping, so I'd cut those if you can.



As for the exercise...thats cool about the treadmilling...start off at 5 days a week of cardio for 20 minutes, and then aim to increase to 30 minutes, 5 days a week.



Overall it sounds like you're eating pretty well though...I don't know how tall you are, but your weight doesn't sound that unhealthy. Maybe you're at a reasonable weight for your height? That being said, it sounds like its one of those awful random weeks where your weight fluctuates for no reason!
Reply:Not at all sure what the problem is - maybe you're retaining water. This can be caused by a high salt diet, food sensitivities, a whole bunch of things. IF that's your problem.

You need to eat a better breakfast to kick start your metabolism for the day. If you skip breakfast you make it a lot harder to lose weight.

Also, 15 mins a day on the treadmill isn't going to achieve much if weight loss is your goal. You need at least 30 mins a day of exercise, preferably 60. You don't start burning fat till around the 30 minute mark.

Gumps

No comments:

Post a Comment